Las Vegas Sun

October 23, 2014

Currently: 63° — Complete forecast | Log in

This is a press release submitted to the Las Vegas Sun. It has not been verified or edited by the Sun.

Press Release

VEA Foundation Donates $5,000 to Feed Children in Need

Published on Thu, Jan 16, 2014 (4:26 p.m.)

PAHRUMP, Nev. (Jan. 16, 2014) – In an effort to help feed hundreds of hungry students in southwestern Nevada, Valley Electric Association, Inc. (VEA) donated $5,000 in December 2013 through its charitable foundation to Food for Thought. Developed by the Kiwanis Club of Pahrump Valley, Food for Thought provides additional meals for students who utilize their schools’ free and reduced-price meal programs and may not have opportunities to eat at home.

The donation provided the bulk of the $5,800 Food for Thought used to purchase food for approximately 420 students in southwestern Nevada during their two-week winter break, said Shannon Moore, founder of Food for Thought.

“A lot of these kids don’t have food in their homes, and our goal as an educational program is to make sure they didn’t come back to school with empty stomachs,” Moore said. “VEA did a really wonderful thing, and we thank them from the bottom of our hearts. Because of VEA, 400 kids were able to eat during the holidays.”

The donation was made through the VEA Charitable Foundation, which raises funds for local community efforts through individual donations and the cooperative’s Operation Round Up program. The foundation received a one-time donation of $5,000 from Dr. Jack E. Abrams, an ophthalmologist who indicated he wanted the sum to feed hungry children in the community. Dr. Abrams is based in Las Vegas and also sees patients in Pahrump.

“VEA is always looking for community partners to help those in need, and this was a valuable opportunity to serve local children,” said Dax Whittle, member and communications coordinator for VEA. “Hundreds of children enjoyed a healthier and happier holiday season thanks to the vision and generosity of Dr. Abrams.”

Dr. Abrams said his donation came from revenue he earned at his practice in Pahrump.

“I’m not trying to take these dollars out of town. I want to give them back to the city,” Dr. Abrams said. “I chose to donate to VEA because I heard its charitable foundation supervises donations and ensures the money goes to those in need. From everything I have seen so far, the cooperative is doing a great job.”

Food for Thought always accepts food and monetary donations. For information about donating to the organization, call Moore at (775) 910-1552.

About Valley Electric Association, Inc.
Valley Electric Association, Inc. (VEA) is a member-owned nonprofit electric utility headquartered in Pahrump, Nev. While VEA started as a small rural electric utility in 1965, the company now provides service to more than 45,000 people within a vast 6,800-square-mile service area located primarily along the California-Nevada border, with the majority in Nevada. VEA’s service area starts in Sandy Valley, southwest of Las Vegas, and extends north for more than 250 miles to Fish Lake Valley. For more information about VEA, please visit www.vea.coop.

Most Popular

• Viewed
  • Discussed
  • E-mailed