This is a press release submitted to the Las Vegas Sun. It has not been verified or edited by the Sun.
Vegas PBS Announces GOAL — Global Online Advanced Learning — As New Name of Online Workforce Training Program
Published on Mon, Nov 25, 2013 (1 p.m.)Program Formerly Known As Vegas Virtual Online Education
(Las Vegas) – In an effort to better reflect its role in economic diversification and efforts in increasing access to workforce training and education opportunities for all Nevadans, Vegas PBS announced today that it has renamed its comprehensive online workforce training program to Global Online Advanced Learning (GOAL). The new name will replace the former Vegas Virtual Online Education.
“As our online training program continues to rapidly grow, offering more and more educational opportunities that assist Nevadans in landing jobs, it is imperative that our name and brand accurately reflect our extensive presence,” said Debra Solt, director of Workforce Training & Economic Development for Vegas PBS. “GOAL will continue to provide needed career training resources to a wide spectrum of industries and professions; business owners and individuals can access high quality, cost-effective and convenient training necessary for Nevada’s economic future.”
“Our vision and mission for GOAL, providing access to adult online education, aligns directly with Vegas PBS’ overall commitment to providing lifelong learning for all ages,” said Tom Axtell, general manager of Vegas PBS. “This past year, our workforce training department enrolled more than 115,685 people in online workforce certification courses, providing local businesses with highly trained workers.”
In addition to its new name, GOAL is set to open a new community computer lab at the Vegas PBS Educational Technology Campus, 3050 E. Flamingo Road. With 21 computer stations, the lab will serve as a high-stakes testing facility and will provide GOAL students with a place to take courses. A grand opening event for the lab is slated for early January 2014.
Vegas PBS launched its workforce development initiative in July 2010, answering the need for an affordable, accessible and comprehensive workforce training program for residents. Courses and programs span several sectors across the state, providing job seekers the tools to build the skills and credentials that align with emerging jobs. There are currently more than 4,200 training courses and programs available and will include course preparation for the new High School Equivalency Test, set to go into effect Jan. 1.
GOAL answers a myriad of needs for both businesses and individuals:
• Small and large businesses alike can utilize online courses for regulatory compliance training for their existing and prospective employees as they benefit from the flexibility, convenience and cost advantages.
• Vegas PBS offers corporate, nonprofit, and government partners the option of customizing the training platform, enabling the organization to create its own branded online training web portal with training management reporting.
• Clients can expand their capacity to train more individuals, regardless of distance and without needing physical training space.
• Individuals seeking jobs as well as those wishing to advance or change their careers can also benefit from GOAL’s value, quality and convenience.
Vegas PBS also holds strategic partnerships with a variety of agencies, through branded content, the broadcasting of PSAs, or as a referral source:
• National Restaurant Association
• Nevada Restaurant Association
• Nevada Hotel and Lodging Association
• Bounce Forward -this is correct
• Clark County School District - Partnership Office
• Nevada Department of Education Teacher Licensure
• USAA Veterans Grant
• MGM Resorts Foundation
• NV Energy - Nevada Mentor Training Program
• Nevada Governor’s Office of Economic Development
• State of Nevada Department of Business and Industry
• Southern Nevada Workforce Connections and its Youth & Adult Service Providers (WIA)
• Workplace ESL Solutions
• High Sierra Area Health Education Center (AHEC)
• Southern Nevada Health District
• Moapa Band of Paiutes Vocational Rehabilitation – Project INPUT
• Nevada Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation
• Nevada JobConnect
• Urban League of Las Vegas
• National Health Career Association
• Nevada Industry Excellence
• Clark County School District - Adult Basic Education Department
• Clark County School District – Partnership Office
For more information on GOAL and the Vegas PBS’ Workforce Development Initiative, please contact Debra Solt at 702.799.1010 or via email at [email protected]
About Vegas PBS
Dedicated to enriching the lives of those who call Southern Nevada home, Vegas PBS Channel 10 is one of America’s most watched PBS stations on a per capita basis. Five additional channels are available over the air or on cable and satellite including Create, Vme, Worldview, Rewind and Jackpot!
Vegas PBS expands its television broadcast impact through supplemental materials on Vegas PBS.org, PBS.org, PBSKids.org, PBSParents.org, PBSTeachers.org and NextAvenue.org. Vegas PBS also offers extensive online distance education for workforce development and economic diversification through Global Online Advanced Learning (GOAL).
Vegas PBS provides K-12 educational resources to teachers and students in public, private, charter and home schools including TeacherLine professional development courses; One Place, a curriculum-correlated online media service; the Described and Captioned Media Center (DCMC) containing materials for deaf, hard of hearing, blind and vision impaired individuals and those who assist them; and Ready To Learn literacy and health community workshops based on curriculum materials in daytime children’s programs.
For more information on programming and services, please visit VegasPBS.org, like us on Facebook at Facebook.com/VegasPBS, or follow us on Twitter at Twitter.com/VegasPBS.