Las Vegas Sun

July 29, 2014

Currently: 87° — Complete forecast | Log in

This is a press release submitted to the Las Vegas Sun. It has not been verified or edited by the Sun.

Press Release

Cancer Survivor Inspires And Motivates With Border-To-Border Run

Published on Thu, Jun 20, 2013 (10:32 a.m.)

For Immediate Release
June 20, 2013, Las Vegas nurse Helene Neville, 52, finished her inspiring run from the Canadian Border in Vancouver, British Columbia to the International Border Crossing in Tijuana, Mexico on June 15, 2013.

Fifteen years, four cancer diagnoses and three brain surgeries later, Helene crossed the border to Tijuana, Mexico at 9 a.m., on Saturday June 15, 2013 covering 1,500 miles in 45 days.

She is halfway to achieving her goal of transecting the United States on foot. In 2010 she ran from Ocean Beach, California to Atlantic Beach, Florida, covering 2,520 miles in 93 days.

A true test of the human spirit - running across the country once requires extraordinary courage and consciousness. Only 226 runners have ever run across America. No runner has ever run all four directions. Helene’s indomitable spirit as a solo female runner accomplished a record making - and record breaking - feat of athletic skill that has taken her across America and North to South.

Helene runs as an advocate to inspire America’s nurses, doctors and the caring citizens of the greatest nation on earth to embrace health and fitness with. “I truly believe that if we are going to change the picture of health, we need to start with the people providing the care.” — Helene Neville.

“My run is not to realize my dreams but to inspire others to realize theirs.” “It just takes one person to act differently for change to happen, and that’s what I’m trying to do.”

This run also holds special meaning for Helene, as she carries with her the ashes of her brother, who died unexpectedly on February 16, 2013. He always wanted to join her on her adventures.

Helene hopes to one day trade in her running shoes for dress shoes that will carry her into public office.

Author of two books — “One On The Run, 93 Days Across America” and “Nurses in Shape, The Right Dose.”

Helene and other health advocates from around the country founded the National Nurses Half Marathon, 5K and two-day Health Institute Conference. The inaugural event will be held in Las Vegas in October, 2013. www.nationalnurseshalfmarathon.com.

For more information on Helene, please visit www.oneontherun.com. You can also keep up with her unstoppable progress by following her on Facebook (www.facebook.com/oneontherun), Twitter (@OneOnTheRun)
#########

Most Popular

• Viewed
  • Discussed
  • E-mailed