Las Vegas Sun

November 24, 2014

Currently: 64° — Complete forecast | Log in

This is a press release submitted to the Las Vegas Sun. It has not been verified or edited by the Sun.

Press Release

Heather Younger presents 'This Is Not Too Much For Me To Handle'

Published on Tue, Nov 6, 2012 (3:10 p.m.)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Heather Younger presents “This Is Not Too Much For Me To Handle”.

LAS VEGAS, NV - Masters of Fine Arts Candidate Heather Younger presents her solo Thesis Exhibition, “This Is Not Too Much For Me To Handle” at the Donna Beam Fine Art Gallery on the campus of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. There will be an opening reception November 30th from 6pm – 9:00pm and the show will run until December 15th. November 30th will also mark the Donna Beam’s first exhibition after intensive floor renovations due to the damaging flash floods of late September.

“This Is Not Too Much For Me To Handle” is named for its conceptual content, use of interdisciplinary mediums, and the format of the gallery presentation itself. Presenting a cohesive body of work, this exhibition consists of photo, sculpture, video performance, and time-based drawing. These works will be installed emphasizing relationships to the space and the quality of light that illuminates them. Minimal in presentation and laborious in execution, Younger’s work speaks to ritual and meditation in a way that challenges the viewer to contemplate how they control their time.

"The work reflects the patterns of a goal-oriented mind; exhibiting the highs and lows of a life based on expectation and purpose. Art exposing the frustrating uncertainty of the "bigger picture" and its relationship with the innate desire for the satisfaction achieved from work." Acting with “natural resources” such as rocks, salt, water, and bone - Heather's work is a way to reconnect to her most human instincts in a society that clings to illusion and façade.

Heather Younger received her Bachelor of Fine Arts in Photography from Louisiana Tech University in 2008 and currently teaches Drawing at the University of Nevada in Las Vegas. Growing up in a peripatetic household, she has a heightened awareness of the effects of architecture as it relates to identity and psychological control. Existing in a culture that is defined by change, she is interested in what our personal responsibility is during times of transition.

--

Donna Beam Fine Art Gallery is open Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm, Sat 10am - 2pm. Visitor parking is available in metered green zones in the Artemus Ham Concert Hall parking garage off Cottage Grove Ave, in front of the Alta Ham Fine Arts Building off Maryland Pkwy, or in the Richard Tam Alumni Center parking lot at Maryland Pkwy and Harmon Ave. Public parking is available in staff lots after 7pm weekdays and on weekends at no charge.

Most Popular

• Viewed
  • Discussed
  • E-mailed