Las Vegas Sun

October 25, 2014

Currently: 86° — Complete forecast | Log in

This is a press release submitted to the Las Vegas Sun. It has not been verified or edited by the Sun.

Press Release

Locos Looking for Second Win

Published on Tue, Oct 2, 2012 (4:38 p.m.)

Oct. 2, 2012 – The veteran players of the Las Vegas Locomotives told the newcomers in the locker room before the opener that the mission statement was simple: “All we do around here is win.” Then the Locos went out and won the United Football League’s season opener.
The Locomotives, again playing at home, kick off Week 2 action on Wednesday night at Sam Boyd Stadium when they meet the Omaha Nighthawks, also 1-0. Game time is 9 p.m. ET. CBS Sports Network, available to 99 million homes nationwide, handles the telecast.
The Nighthawks-Locos contest matches teams that won in very different styles in their first outings. The Locomotives steamed over the Virginia Destroyers, 19-6, and were never really threatened. The Nighthawks, by contrast, trailed 17-3 in the third quarter before rallying on the road to defeat the
Sacramento Mountain Lions 24-20.
The Locomotives will be looking to contain Omaha quarterback Jason Boltus, who fired up that comeback by running for one touchdown and passing for two others. The Locos did their damage early.
“Our offensive line did a great job of giving me time and opening up holes for our running backs,” said quarterback Chase Clement.
Omaha, with only one first down in the first quarter, settled down in the second half as Sacramento quarterback Josh Johnson labored to play through a knee injury. “I told them that regardless of how things went in the second half, that if they would tackle, if they would block, and if they would not
watch the scoreboard and just know that without a doubt at the end of the game they would be in a position to win it, then they could do it,” Nighthawks coach Bart Andrus said.
The Nighthawks have never beaten the Locos, going 0-4 against them, 0-2 last year.
In the Friday night game (7 p.m. ET), two new head coaches will be looking for their first victory when the Destroyers, the UFL defending champions, play their home opener against the Mountain Lions. The Mountain Lions were undone by four turnovers in the loss to Omaha in Turk Schonert’s debut as a head
coach. “We made too many mistakes,” he said.
The Destroyers fell to Las Vegas in Kurt Schottenheimer’s first game since he replaced his brother as the club’s head coach. “I thought we got better as the game went on,” Kurt Schotteheimer said. “I think we came out of it with a lot of positives we can build on.”

Most Popular

• Viewed
  • Discussed
  • E-mailed