Published Monday, Nov. 24, 2008 | 6:10 p.m.
Updated Monday, Nov. 24, 2008 | 6:05 p.m.
* Gorgeous reality star Kim Kardashian juggles an impressive and incredible work schedule with such ease, it always looks as if she’s simply a Hollywood party girl having nothing but fun. “That’s the last thing I am,” she told me during her weekend visit to the Palms to help promote her new Vegas Magazine cover girl layout. She and sisters Kourtney and Khloe stayed in one of George Maloof’s new Palms Place condo penthouses.
“I am not the big party person everybody makes me out to be. I don’t drink alcohol. I never have because I hate it. I’m always in bed and never make the after-parties. So there is not a lot of what I do that can get me into trouble. You’re more likely to find me at the bowling alley than at a dress-up party.
“People actually make up stuff and create a life that I just don’t have. We’re all pretty brainy and bright, and we have a very strong parental background. So we know where the temptations lie, and we don’t go near them. We laugh because sister Khloe is a birthed born blonde, and they say only us brunettes are the bright ones. But she is brainy, edgy and funny, so there goes that myth.”
Referring to the one headline controversy she was involved in when a secret sex tape she’d unknowingly made with former boyfriend singer Ray J was leaked, Kim told me: “I learned my lesson on that one, and that certainly won’t happen again. I was betrayed and it cost them a lot of money to legally settle with us. (Editor’s note: Reports indicate she won $5 million in that settlement). It’s now in the past and forgotten. We’ve all done something we’re not proud of, but we learn from it. We acknowledge it and then we grow stronger from it.”
I’ve known Kim and her mom and stepdad, Olympic gold medalist decathlete Bruce Jenner, for many years, so I didn’t feel uncomfortable about asking her about the continuing romance with New Orleans Saints star Reggie Bush, who by the way is still convalescing back to playing health after a recent serious knee injury.
Kim said: “I don’t know if 2009 is the year we will get married. It’s been almost two years now of dating. We laugh because I’m 28 and he’s only 23 years old. I am the cougar! We are waiting and living on our own time. There’s no real rush, but, yes, we’ve talked about it many times. We’ve talked about a future together. We’ve talked about a family together. We always talk about where we’re heading in life. This is it for me, though. Reggie has been my support system, and he’s such a good guy. After we get married, we’ll have kids and hopefully I’ll be pregnant within two years."
Watch video highlights of an interview with Kim here.
* Good Charlotte rocker Benji Madden checked into one of the Fantasy Tower suites at the Palms. Newly single after last week’s permanent bust-up with Paris Hilton, Benji decided that Vegas was the place to be for his resumed bachelor lifestyle! What better place to find a new blonde beauty to be by his side.
It was just after midnight this morning that Benji wrapped up filming a short MTV documentary about Good Charlotte. He was filmed with freestyle motocross rider and Wasted Space at the Hard Rock business partner Carey Hart.
They were joined first for a two-hour dinner at N9NE steakhouse with pro skateboarder Greg Lutzka and Good Charlotte manager Tal Cooperman in a party of six. They enjoyed rock shrimp and stuffed mushroom starters, and then Benji enjoyed a Kobe burger with a wedge salad. They all divvied up the steak fries, mashed potatoes and spinach.
Up in the Playboy Club, which was celebrating its 2nd anniversary, Benji and the boys ordered up Ketel One Vodka and Le Tourment Vert Absinthe.
* Celebrities including "American Idol’s" Paula Abdul, movie superstar Jamie Foxx, music super-singers Usher and Tyrese, "Heroes" actress Hayden Panettiere and comedy talk-show host Bill Maher were still partying pre-dawn here this morning. Even lovebirds Criss Angel and blonde beauty Holly Madison were on the town, continuing their commuter romance for the sixth consecutive weekend.
It all proved that Hollywood headliners know the best place for fun is in their backyard platinum playground and that Strip nightclubs are alive and well despite the difficult economic climate.
Grammy Award-winning singer and dazzling dance diva Paula met with fans at Steve Wynn and Victor Drai’s Tryst in the Wynn. She even posed for photos with the "Mindfreak" magician and his "The Girls Next Door" girlfriend. Criss and Holly were seen openly holding hands and kissing constantly in their VIP dance-floor booth. Singer-actor Tyrese was also in the owner’s VIP section with movie director Michael Bay of "Transformers" and "Armageddon" fame, plus Playboy Playmate Raquel Gibson (Miss October 2005).
* R&B smooth soul king Usher, with two female friends and his security guards, ordered up a post-midnight snack at Victor’s other Strip hotspot, Drai’s After Hours at Bill’s Gamblin’ Hall at center Strip. At a private VIP table in the hip-hop room, Usher ordered up french fries and chicken fingers to snack on in between dancing. Usher had stayed in town to party after his earlier concert at The Pearl in the Palms.
* For the second consecutive night, comedy king Jamie Foxx held court at Tao restaurant and nightclub in the Palazzo. He had dinner for his entourage of 20 family and friends celebrating two friends’ birthdays. After two cakes were delivered to his table, the Oscar winner took everybody up to his usual favorite VIP table on the nightclub’s dance floor. It didn’t take too long before he had the mic and bantered back and forth with DJ Vice. Jamie had the Cristal flowing as he emceed the party until the wee early hours this morning.
* When The Comedy Festival wrapped at Caesars Palace, many of the comics moved over to Tao, where comedian Pauly Shore hosted the after-party. His guests included comedy talk-show host Bill Maher after his standup gigs at The Orleans and Nick Thune, B.J. Porter, Brett Gelman, Rob Riggle of "The Daily Show," plus the cast of MTV’s sketch comedy show "Human Giant" Rob Huebel, Paul Scheer and Jason Woliner. Also there was "Mad Men" actor and one of GQ’s Men of the Year Jon Hamm with five friends, and they took a table stocked with Grey Goose vodka.
* Actor and comedian Nick Cannon may have been solo for his two-hour guest DJ set at Pure early yesterday, but new wife superstar singer Mariah Carey was right by his side later in the day at the Caesars Palace Comedy Festival.
* Adam Goldstein, who was nearly killed in a plane crash with his friend Travis Barker back on Sept. 19, is luckily alive. But Goldstein’s alter-ego, the ceaselessly bobbing DJ AM who spins dance music from such throbbing hotspots as LAX and Pure in Las Vegas, this guy is alive.
And it was last night and early this past weekend that I swept into Pure at Caesars Palace to see just what all the fuss is about with the wildly popular DJ AM, who is a partner in LAX at the Luxor. It is his third post-crash appearance since the fiery Learjet crash near Columbia, S.C., which left Goldstein and Barker seriously burned and claimed the lives of four other passengers, including a longtime assistant to Barker, Chris Baker.
Goldstein and Barker, frequent performing partners in Vegas clubs, skirted death by clambering down one of the flaming jet’s wings, then shed their clothing while flames raced over their bodies. Barker, a tireless drummer who was once a member of Blink 182, was burned over much of his lower body; Goldstein on his hands and the right side of his head.