Published Friday, July 11, 2008 | 3:20 p.m.
Updated Tuesday, Oct. 28, 2008 | 10:15 a.m.
Las Vegas firefighters today battled a two-alarm townhouse fire that started about 11:31 a.m., said Tim Szymanski, spokesman for the Las Vegas Fire Department.
A woman and her husband were inside the townhome when their air conditioner quit, Szymanski said. The landlord visited and the woman said she thought she smelled something like bug spray.
The landlord noticed smoke rising near the air conditioner unit at the Springhurst Townhouses, 3000 El Camino Ave., near West Sahara Avenue and Rancho Drive.
The landlord and the couple left the townhome and called the fire department on a cell phone, Szymanski said. By the time firefighters arrived, heavy smoke and flames had engulfed the roof.
Most of the damage occurred on the roof and in the attic, but some debris fell into a living area. One small office had heavy damage, Szymanski said. The damage is estimated at $150,000. Investigators ruled the fire accidental.
The American Red Cross is helping the couple and their dog, Szymanski said. There were no injuries.